Ordinary People - E.E. Montgomery
4.25 Stars ~ Review by Leisa

I just love discovering a book that is a fresh and new idea, and this is exactly how I describe E E Montgomery’s Ordinary People. The story opens with unconscious Vinnie awakening naked and covered with blood while lying on top of a dead man – and surrounded by armed policemen. He promptly vomits all over the shoes of James, the patient, handsome policeman with beautiful lips whose quite presence calms Vinnie. James is surprised to find himself quite taken with small, beautiful Vinnie who is seemingly alone in the world.

Vinnie is simply delightful – normally a socially awkward insurance assessor, the drugs are still working themselves out of his body, and Vinnie is confused, babbling, and tearful. He’s alone in the world, and he’s a hot, blubbering mess with no place to stay and who James can’t resist taking care of. James is patient and kind to Vinnie, and finds his temporary lack of a verbal filter charming, and he wants the beautiful man. The story is alternately told from both Vinnie and James’ perspective. Vinnie’s contribution to the story includes fractured thoughts, and is reflective of the inability of his drugged brain to maintain cogent and productive conversations. I really like this writing style – it allows the reader to better experience Vinnie’s thoughts, fear and confusion...

Read more at Prism Book Alliance