The Flesh Cartel #13: The House Always Wins - Rachel Haimowitz, Heidi Belleau
4.25 Stars ~ Review by Christine

In The House Always Wins, both Mat and Dougie have fallen into positions perfectly suited for their training at Nikolai’s. Mat has basically become an animal, feral and merciless in his desperation to survive his captivity on Allen’s island, while Dougie finds his perfect niche – servicing Allen’s wife, Penelope. (Readers who don’t care for m/f should be aware that though Dougie is a female’s slave, their more intimate activity is conducted off-page.) Allen continues to use the brothers as manipulation tools, and the results become more interesting as the story progresses.

This particular installment is one of the most compelling to date, in my opinion. Even as the boys fall into a “routine” of service on the island, we know that the authors will not allow us to become complacent for very long. We see a strange shift in the boys’ roles and attitudes as Mat prepares to flee and Dougie continues to pine desperately for the security and love he thinks Nikolai can provide him. The reader can feel that things are building to an explosive climax that lies just on the horizon...

Read more at Prism Book Alliance